Chipping Away - Busting Debt in Boston

A personal finance weblog about my own journey to eliminating my debts and building net worth. Hopefully this will serve as a place for me to share and discuss my strategies and ideas, as well as keeping me on track and focused.

7/11/2006

Community - A Quick Survey

I just wanted to take a few moments out of my day to see how the rest of your folks think you'd fare with your finances if PF-blogging didn't exist. I'm sure that most of us would get along just fine and not really see any difference if it were all gone tomrorow (well, except maybe for those of us who take in any reasonable amount of revenue through advertising), but are there some of us out there who actively use blogging as a tool to help achieve goals?

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, to be completely honest. I'm quite motivated enough at this point to see what i want to do and get it done, but all this stuff definately helps. I find it's MUCH easier for me to get my feet wet learning about investing topics, real estate, etc etc etc... when it's in someone's blog versus a book on ths subject. Of course, that wetting-of-the-feet tends to be followed by a desire to understand the topic in much greater detail than blogging allows, so I tend to end up doing a bit more research after the fact. But the blogger/blogging tends to be what gets my butt in gear, so to speak.

So back to the question, how much do you think your financial life is affected by blogging? Is blogging, or reading blogs, something that is driven by your financial life being relatively on track? Or is it the other way around?

2 Comments:

  • At 7/13/2006 3:33 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    To tell you the truth, my interests in my financial stability started with a search...I saw a link about Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps program. I wanted to find out more, so I googled his name and clicked a link that brought me to the "It's Your Money" blog...I was intrigued and wanted more info, so I checked the links on that site and so on and so forth. So right now, I got my own blog, and I think the blog drives me to get into my finances, while the same is the reverse, my finances drive me to keep up with my blog...Make sense?

     
  • At 7/24/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Ms. MiniDucky said…

    I consider the blogging a third and fourth step in the arena of personal finance for me. I started with Step One - Responsibility: handling my own finances and learning to use credit cards without paying fees, etc. Step two was Fatwalleting - venturing beyond the basics: I discovered many of the things that I do routinely now from that site like couponing (how I miss the Grocery forum!), rebating, stockpiling, more "advanced" credit card usage (applying only for those with bonuses and 0% BT, no fee), hot deals, stacking deals, online bonuses and deals for banking. Step Three was reading personal finance blogs: gleaning new information to add to my arsenal of financial games or balls to juggle. Step Four is actually blogging myself which is pretty huge for me: I'm horribly insecure about having people read my thoughts and feel like I haven't got anything unique to contribute. But it's a great way to organize my thoughts and plans and allows me to (someday, I hope) garner input within a community of knowledgeable or financially-concerned individuals.
    I guess I'm sayin that PF-blogging is an expansion of the network and though I would certainly be doing financial planning anyway it would be a far less informed sort of planning.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home